Friday, April 4, 2008

To the one who turned my world upside down.

My darling Lucy turns one next Friday. I cant' believe its been a whole year since we went through that excruciating induction and that horrific labour. Surely one whole year cannot have passed since i practically tore myself in two trying to push my amazing baby into the world.

A year on and she isn't a baby any more. Shes a little toddler. A beautiful little girl with a massive personality, big brown eyes and a laugh that can still make me cry. She's become her own person now, not so reliant on Mummy and Daddy to help her with every task. She trys to dress herself now, puts on her own socks and puts on her hat before we go outside to play. She walks all over the house calling for her daddy and then lights up the whole house with a giggle when she finds him. She comes to us for cuddles and then runs away to play in her room some more. She sits for hours looking at her picture books, talking to each page, studying them intensely.

A year later and I can't imagine loving another child as much as i love her. I can't imagine having such a tangible love for somebody other than her. Not even 365 days after her birth and i struggle to remember life before her. I cant remember sleeping all night blissfully anware of any other person. I still wake up and check on her 3 or 4 times a night. I cant imagine it being any other way.

A year on and I look forward to days spent at home with her. Before i was more career driven than i realised. Now i dont care. Before i thought i wanted a career. It turns out i just want a pay check each week. Less time at work means more time with my incredible daughter. Time at the park, the shops or just hanging out at home playing chasey through the lounge room. Time washing the dishes while she pulls everything from every cupboard onto the floor and laughs at my face when i catch her. Time we can just be together.

My life is never going to be the way it used to be. Before i lived each day for me, now i live each breath for her.

Happy Birthday my incredible daughter. I love you always.

Love Mummy. xoxoxo

No comments: