Thursday, January 29, 2009

Our Family Gatherings

are a little weird. The reason for this, is my grandparents were missionaries. They spent over half of their lives in Papua New guinea, which is not what makes our family weird. But you know, along the way they met A LOT of people. And all these people have consequently become "family", to them, at least.

I don't know if its wrong, but i really dislike the family gatherings with the ring ins. Christmas day, we arrived at my grandparents house for Christmas lunch, to find 2 random friends of my nan and pop DEMANDING (no they did NOT ask) that my dad drive them to the airport. So consequently the entire lunch went cold, and we were rather upset at the intrusion on what, is intrinsically, a family event.

When my mum questioned my nan as to why they expected my dad would drive them, she was told "they're family".

Well I'm sorry. But these people are not family. My entire life I've had to sit back with my mouth shut while people treat other people who have No relation whatsoever to my family BETTER than they treat my family. The number of times, I've heard people introduced as Roy and Dawn's grandchildren, who ARE NOT, is immeasurable.

Its not so much that i care for myself, but i know what that was like growing up. And I don't want it to happen to Lucy. Because it made me feel like I was never good enough, because i was JUST a blood relative. I hadn't earned my place in the family line. Unlike these others, who had been through various different things with my grandparents. They were introduced as family, we were not mentioned. Over and Over its happened. And I worry for Lucy. I don't ever want her to think that she is not as important, if not more important, because she didn't "earn" her place.

But with every family event being run over by uninvited guests, its already happening.

No comments: